FamilySmart™ Parents In Residence (PiR) and Youth In Residence (YiR) provide peer support, mentoring, system navigation and access to information, resources, networks and education for:
- Youth or young adult with lived experience of mental health and/or substance use challenges
- Families and caregivers parenting children, youth or young adults with mental health and/or substance use challenges
- Systems and service providers; to assist in building knowledge, skills and capacity in working well together with youth, young adults and families to enhance mental health outcomes.
“If we couldn’t count on the PiR in the background to be the glue connecting and supporting families, it would be much more of a challenge to manage waitlists.” – CYMH Clinician
Parents in Residence have their own lived experience of parenting a child, youth or young adult with mental health and/or substance use challenges. As families, we’ve been there. A Parent in Residence can be found in many communities across British Columbia and our Parents in Residence at the Kelty Mental Health Resource Centre provide PiR services to all families in BC who do not have a PiR in their own community.
“I didn’t know what to expect but a 20 minute conversation gave me things to do that worked, a sense of resources when we had none, and they got us through the next 8 months. I tell people it was the best call I’ve made in my life.” – Parent
Youth in Residence have their own lived experience of mental health and/or substance use challenges. Youth often find it empowering to talk with other youth or young adults who understand and can share insight on their journey. Parents and adult caregivers appreciate hearing a young adult perspective on their own experiences. All youth and families in BC can access the Youth in Residence at the Kelty Mental Health Resource Centre if there is not a YiR in your community.
“The YiR saved my life, as a young person who ‘fell through the cracks.'” – Youth
Contact a Parent or Youth in Residence
- Abbotsford / Mission – Lina Thompson
- Burnaby / New Westminster – Moira Hazlehurst
- Campbell River / Comox Valley – Colleen Clark
- Chilliwack / Fraser Cascade – Lina Thompson
- Kelowna – Lori Raible
- Maple Ridge / Pitt Meadows – Jeannie Harnett
- Langley – Tammy Music
- Nelson (YiR) Tyler Exner
- Nelson (PiR) Monique Lalonde
- Richmond – Jamie Agtarap
- Surrey / Delta / White Rock – Lynne Godfrey
- Squamish – Catrin Webb
- Sunshine Coast – Jill Shatford
- Tri-Cities – Marlisse McRobie and Moira Hazlehurst
- Vancouver – Liz Irving
- Victoria / Sooke / Westshore – Lisa Tate
If you are a parent or youth looking for support today and do not live in an area with a Community PiR or YiR, please feel free to connect with a provincial PiR or YiR by calling the FamilySmart™ Parent in Residence or Youth in Residence at the Kelty Mental Health Resource Centre at BC Children’s Hospital: 604-875-2084 or toll-free: 1-800-665-1822 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
FamilySmart™ PiR and YiR staff at the Kelty Mental Health Resource Centre:
Parent in Residence:
Youth in Residence:
“Even as a GP, it is hard to navigate the system. Sometimes you see a referral to another agency and you wonder how the family got to that agency so quickly, and it turns out it was the PiR who facilitated that connection.” – GP
There are no charges for accessing our PiR or YiR services and a referral is not required.
While this program is currently only implemented in BC, it is our intent to influence and assist other provinces and territories to connect with us about bringing our Parent and Youth in Residence program to your communities.